Beer crate meal: a delicious dish for the broke student
Every student has been there: at the end of the month with the DUO-contributions within reach but an almost empty wallet. Therefore, we introduce to you, the beer crate meal. A recipe that you can buy (almost) fully with the deposit you get when you hand in your beer crate.
This week: A Mexican bowl
· Rice (400gr white rice €0,69*)
· Pre-cut Mexican veggies (400gr €2,49*)
· Salsa sauce (230gr €0,98*)
· Minced meat* (300gr €1,79*)
*Replace the meat when you are vegetarian or vegan with a vegetarian option or with kidney beans.
Total costs for one person:
100 gr white rice €0,18 + 250 gr vegetables €1,56 + 115 gr salsa sauce €0,49 + 150 gr minced meat €0,90 = €3,13.
· Cook 100gr rice as is indicated on the packaging.
· Fry the minced meat in a pan with some olive oil. You can add herbs you like to make it even tastier.
· Add the Mexican veggies.
· Stir-fry until the veggies are cooked.
· Add the salsa and mix it with the minced meat and vegetables.
· Let it stand for a while till it simmers.
· Put the rice on a plate and add the vegetable mix.
*prices are based on Jumbo. You can always look for cheaper alternatives at Lidl, Aldi or the market.